Here are some good reasons why socialising helps us get more from life.
- It is fun…connect with the people around you.
- Makes you more active… find an activity you enjoy.
- You feel you belong and are part of the group.
- Promotes self esteem…be proud of what you achieve.
- Mental stimulation…helps your memory, share knowledge and learn.
- It gives structure to your day.
- You give…your friendship to others.
- It reduces stress, it helps to focus on things outside yourself.
- Combats loneliness…and can help ease depression. 10. Makes you healthier, boosting your mood helps strengthen your immune system.
Another study by Value Options reported that elderly people who like to eat out, go to movies and take part in other social activities live an average of two and a half years longer than people who spend most of their time alone. The physical health benefits of socialising were equal to physical exercise, even though the social activities involved almost no physical exertion. It wasn't physical activity or physical health but feeling worthwhile that led to longer life. Good health and eating counted, but it was social interaction that was responsible for the results.