- Is there one particular period from the past that you find yourself clinging on to?
- Do you feel that you will never reach that level of happiness/status/satisfaction/acceptance/etc. again?
- Are you frustrated with where you currently are in life?
- Are you fearful of the future?
- Does thinking about the past actually make you sad?
Living in the past is a problem because it robs you of the opportunity to enjoy the present. Not enjoying the present? If you aren't happy where you are, living in the past won't help! Living in the past allows you to avoid dealing with issues in the present. (Karen Ann Kennedy)
Extend Yourself. “You cannot connect if you isolate yourself—or if you only connect online where many people present a non-authentic self,” Dr. Cacioppo says. Accept social invitations, even if you don’t feel like going out.
Share good times with people who have similar interests. The best way to not be lonely is to spend time with folks who share your interests, values and attitudes. If you don’t have people in your life who fit the bill, it is time to make a plan to meet more, which will require going to the right place.